The Menorah Society grew out of the Yiddish Club at the University of Toronto in 1917. The had a semi-official status and superseded most of the other Jewish student groups. Most often they met off-campus, but they did have a faculty advisor named Professor W. R. Taylor, who taught Hebrew at University College. The Menorah Society was a branch of an intercollegiate Jewish society formed at Harvard in 1906 for the study of Jewish history and culture. In Toronto, they flourished until it was undermined by the Greek-letter fraternities in the late 1920s and in 1931 they dissolved.
Lillian Rappaport (Horwitz) was born 15 May 1909 in Toronto. She was married 2 Jan. 1936 to Sidney A Horwitz in Atlanta, Georgia and lived nearly all the rest of her life in Atlanta. She died on 8 Feb. 1998 in New York State. Lillian's parents were Aaron and Jennie Rappaport. They owned several movie theaters in Toronto, Brighton, and Campbellford.
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the University of Toronto Menorah Society executives for 1929-1930. Seated in the front row are Philip Barrs, Sam Bochner, Vera Alexander (Eisen), Sam Goldhar, Renee L., unknown, Joe Kardish. Standing in the back row are Edward Richmond, Toby Ellias (Isaacs), Sydney Hermont, Vera Weinstein, Mannie Brown, Lillian Rappaport (Horwitz), Harry Luzuer.
University of Toronto Menorah Society
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.