Formed in 1907 following the 1906 Zionist Congress in Toronto, the Toronto Zionist Council (TZC) was founded by the societies Agudath Zion, B'Nai Zion, Daughters of Zion, B'noth Zion Kadimah, Zion Literary Club, and the Young Men's Zion Club of Toronto. The purpose of the Council was to coordinate the efforts of its member organizations in promoting the aims of Zionism in the Toronto area. The formation of the Council was accompanied by the incorporation of the United Zionists of Toronto as a publicly traded corporation, which purchased property and acquired assets for use in TZC activities and for rental by TZC member organizations.
In 1912, United Zionist of Toronto purchased a building at 249 Simcoe Street, Toronto, as the first Zionist Institute. The Institute included meeting rooms, a Zionist and Hebrew library, and a small gymnasium. In 1913, the Institute moved to a building at 206 Beverley Street. The Institute subsequently moved to 651 Spadina Avenue in 1924 and was renamed the Zionist Centre. In 1962 the Centre moved to a new building at 188 Marlee Avenue, Toronto.
Scope and Content
The sous-fonds includes: records relating to the incorporation of the United Zionists of Toronto (1907), copies of the Toronto Zionist Council constitution and proposals for constitutional ammendments, minutes of meetings of United Zionists of Toronto Board of Directors (ca. 1912) and Toronto Zionist Council and committees (1952-1953, 1962-1977), property management records and correspondence concerning rental arrangements for offices and meeting rooms in the Zionist Institute/Centre. The sous-fonds also includes some administrative records and correspondence with affiliated organizations created by TJC officers and Zionist Centre staff.