The Hoffmans emigrated to Toronto from Czestochowa, Poland in 1908. According to The Might Directory, the Hoffmans opened their first grocery store in "The Ward" in 1909 at 134 Centre Avenue. Subsequent locations listed include 141 Centre Avenue (1910-1913), 339 Spadina Avenue (1914-1920), 350 Spadina Avenue 1922-1928 and 270 Spadina Avenue (1936 - ca. 1950).
Scope and Content
This photograph was likely taken at 141 Centre Avenue (1910-1913) prior to the Hoffmans moving their shop to 339 Spadina Avenue in 1914. Pictured are Rivka and Nathan (Nahum) Hoffman.
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.