John Judah Glass was born 31 October 1897, in England, the son of Morris and Pearl Glass. In 1907, Glass immigrated to Toronto, two years after his father. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1917 and received his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1921. He married Anne Ethel (née Horowitz) and had two children: George and Jesse.
Glass was a practicing barrister and solicitor and a member of the Canadian Bar Association. He served with the Canadian army during the First and Second World Wars. He was a member of the Toronto Board of Education (1928-1930), was Alderman with the Toronto City Council (1931-1934), and was a Liberal MPP for St. Andrew's Riding (1934-1943).
He was on the Board of Governors of Beth Tzedec Congregation; was the past president of the Toronto Zionist Council; was on the national and regional executive of the Zionist Organization of Canada; was a founder of the Canadian Jewish Congress; was the past president of Toronto B'nai B'rith; was a founder and first president of the General Wingate Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion; and was affiliated with the Toronto Council of Christians and Jews, the Palestine Lodge, the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, the Jewish Historical Society, United Jewish Appeal, Jewish National Fund, and the State of Israel Bonds.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of John J.Glass.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.