Lipa (Louis) Green was born on 15 April 1899 in Usupow, Poland. He emigrated to Toronto in 1910 and later began work as a bricklayer. In 1924, Lipa married Fanny Green and had three sons: Abraham (Al), Harold and Sam; and three daughters: Deana (Weiman), Rookie (Goldstein), and Shavy (Tishler). In 1948, with partner, Arthur Weinstock, he founded the Greenview Construction Company, later to be renamed Greenwin. Green's sons, Al and Harold, along with Weinstock's son-in-law Al Latner, later became involved in the business.
Green was a prominent Jewish communal leader and philanthropist in Toronto and was affiliated with organizations such as the Labor Zionists (Farband), the Jewish Vocational Service and the Jewish Public Library. The current building for Jewish agencies in Toronto is named the Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services.
Lipa Green died in December 1976, at the age of 77.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Lipa Green.
Green, Lipa, 1899-1976
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
See accessions 1978-1-4 and 2004-5-150 for more images of Lipa Green.