In 1913, a mutual benefit society for women called the Ezras Noshim Society was formed in Toronto. Ezras Noshim started collecting funds around 1916 to purchase a home that would be converted into Toronto's first Jewish Old Folks Home. The forerunner to Baycrest Centre opened in 1919 as the Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home. It was located on Cecil Street in downtown Toronto and the women of Ezras Noshim made beds, cooked kosher meals, washed sheets and sponsored fund-raising events.
In 1954, the Jewish Home for the Aged opened on Bathurst Street to accommodate their expanding needs with the addition of a new feature -- Baycrest Hospital. This location, known as the Baycrest Centre, expanded to include several new buildings that were better able to meet the needs of the Jewish community in Toronto.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of several Jewish Home for the Aged groups, including the men's service group, the women's auxiliary, and the staff and residents. The images depict meetings and banquets, fundraising campaigns, images of the interior of the building, the residents partaking in daily activities and classes, and special visits by dignitaries. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.