6 architectural and technical drawings : 4 blueprints, 2 pencil on tracing paper ; 58 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Imperial Optical was founded in 1900 by Mr. Percy Hermant and was the first prescription lens business in the Maritimes. Percy headed the company until his death in 1959, and under his leadership the company eventually grew to be the largest company of its kind in the British Commonwealth. The head office was located in the Hermant Building (named for Percy) at 21 Dundas Square. After Percy's death, the company passed into the hands of his son Sydney, who sold majority control to the Caribbean based Harcourt Carter Optical in 1965. By 1991, Harcourt Carter Optical had assumed total control of Imperial Optical. Benjamin Brown's office was located in the Hermant Building in the 1940s,
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey factory for Imperial Optical located at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets. Included are elevations, lot plans, sections and detail of footings. Also included are technical drawings of structural elements of the building as well as schedules for the construction of the building.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building located at 179 Ontario Street and a biography of Percy Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural drawings of a building for Imperial Optical at 270 Ontario Street.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.