40 architectural and technical drawings : 3 blueprints, 9 pen on linen weave, 28 pencil on tracing paper ; 88 cm length or smaller
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square, is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The nine storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The six storey Hermant Annex and fourteen storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990. Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Hermant Annex located at 254-256 Victoria Street. Foundation plans, floor plans, elevations, a roof plan, sections, a block plan and a lettering design for a building sign are included. Technical drawings of structural elements of the building as well as schedules for construction of the building are also included.
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
6/16/2015: Records were sent out for conservation treatments.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.