The Board of Governors was originally created as a management body of the trusts, endowments and building funds of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. They also served in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors in the formulation of new policies. It consisted of eighteen persons, including the president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary of the board and fourteen people elected from the community to act as lay leadership.
In 1949, the mandate of the Board of Governors was revamped in anticipation of the large costs associated with building the new Bloor and Spadina Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. Approximately two hundred communal leaders were invited to become a member of the board and were charged an annual membership fee. This money was then used to help support programs, pay for building costs, or pay off bank loan interest or debts. In return, the Board of Governors received special voting rights and invitations to special events, such as the annual meetings, where they elected the fifty-one members that would make up the Board of Directors.
Scope and Content
This file contains lists of names of prospective members of the Board of Governors.