The Jewish Camp Council was formed in 1945 by five different groups running summer camps for Jewish youth: B’nai Brith, the National Council of Jewish Women, the Mothers’ and Babes’ Summer Rest Home Association, the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto and the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A.
The United Jewish Welfare Fund eventually assumed responsibility for all camp property, including Camp Northland in Haliburton, and programming for all camps was organized as a unified service. The Jewish Camp Council Board of Directors included representatives from all five organizations, while the executive director of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. acted as executive director of the Jewish Camp Council. Initially, the head office was located at Camp B'nai Brith, near Orillia, and then moved into the new Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building at Spadina and Bloor in 1953.
Scope and Content
This file contains textual records relating to the operation of the Jewish Camp Council and the camps it oversaw. Records include reports, executive and community correspondence, financial records, camp pamphlets and camper registration sheets.