In 1945, the UJWF received two applications concerning capital needs -- one from the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. and one from the General Wingate Branch. They suggested that a joint capital campaign for $750 000 be held for a Jewish War Memorial Centre, which would house the activities of the "Y" and the General Wingate Branch.
The campaign began in 1948, and was spearheaded by Samuel Godfrey, campaign chairman. The campaign raised approximately $350 000 which was later added to the $1 250 000 raised in the second campaign, to reach the "Y"s total Combined Building Campaign goal of $1 500 000. The legion never moved into the "Y" building, but the building was dedicated to the Jewish soldiers who fought for Canada in the world wars, during the cornerstone ceremony.
Scope and Content
This file contains a survey report of the Toronto Jewish community created by the National Welfare Board prior to the campaign launch, meeting minutes of the Wingate Branch, and general correspondence. There is also a copy of a "Victory" booklet from 1942, which contains a list of "Y" member names who were enlisted in the armed forces during the Second World War.