The Menorah Society grew out of the Yiddish Club at the University of Toronto in 1917. The had a semi-official status and superseded most of the other Jewish student groups. Most often they met off campus, but they did have a faculty advisor named Professor W. R. Taylor, who taught Hebrew at University College. The society was a branch of an intercollegiate Jewish society formed at Harvard in 1906 for the study of Jewish history and culture. In Toronto, they flourished until it was undermined by the Greek-letter fraternities in the late 1920s. It dissolved in 1931.
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the University of Toronto Menorah Society executives for 1917–1918.
University of Toronto Menorah Society
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.