With the post-Second World War expansion of Toronto's Jewish population, the original Jewish Home for the Aged on Cecil St. had become totally outmode in size and treament capability. By 1949 an expanding economy made it possible to begin the necessary planning for a much larger replacement facility which included the Baycrest Hospital, at 3560 Bathurst St. in North York. The sod-turning ceremony occurred on June 7, 1951. Although fundraising for the construction this facility was not the responsibility of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, the entire Toronto Jewish Community was to be canvassed for the funds to build it. The proven fundraising expertise of the UJWF, its donor lists, and the goals of its own annual campaign ensured that constant correspondence and cooperation between the campaigns was both necessary for success and vital to the avoidance of campaign competition. The continued success and growth of community contributions to all was the outcome of this ongoing collaboration.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and occasional reports documenting the relationship between the UJWF and the fundraising campaigns for the new Home for the Aged being constructed during the 1950s. Files in this sub-series have been arranged chronologically.