Accession consists of a bound book of the Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society constitution and by-laws from 1946.
The Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society was founded in 1905 on Chestnut St. for the purpose of providing aid to its members requiring medical support. Each member was required to pay dues to the society and in return was entitled to the following services: doctor's attendance, special medical aid, hostpital care, incurable benefits, a burial plot, funeral arrangements and funeral benefits and sick benefit payments.
As the society grew, the benefit society formed an "Actzia" or credit society for granting loans and in the 1940s established a synagogue on Spadina Ave. so that its members could pray together. It later moved to Wilson Ave. and in 1969 a building was erected at its current location on Bathurst St., south of Steeles.