Accession consists of minutes of meetings, ledgers, correspondence, notes, and photographs documenting the former B'nai Jacob Congregation in Niagara Falls. The material includes records of the Rose Dunkelman chapter of Hadassah (1940s–1950s), Sisterhood (1970s), the merged Hadassah-Sisterhood (1977–1986), Lundy's Lane Cemetery, and the Niagara Falls Jewish Federation (1943-1966). The records include a file with lists of Torah Fund donations, the constitutions of Sisterhood and of B'nai Jacob, many copied newspaper clippings about the Greenspans and Barbara Frum, and a copy of the 1953 CJC Community Self-Survey. There are also two copies of the 1977 Sisterhood New Year's community directory and textual and graphic material on the Holocaust Memorial at the cemetery. Records also include a photocopied chapter from a young adult book telling the story of Niagara Falls resident Irving Milchberg and how as an adolescent he survived the Second World War in Nazi-occupied Warsaw after escaping from the ghetto.
Accession includes 172 photographs; ninety-six are colour prints from the 1998 Holocaust Memorial dedication ceremony in the cemetery and the rest are special events and shul members in the 1960s and 1970s. In addition there is a collage of twelve photographs picturing music classes and performances. Finally, two oversized landscape technical drawings also relate to the proposed Holocaust Memorial.
Photo Caption 001-007: Festival of Holidays at B’nai Jacob Congregation, Niagara Falls, 1980.
B'nai Jacob Synagogue was a Conservative shul founded in 1918. It amalgamated with the Reform congregation in St. Catharines and became B'nai Tikvah in 1998 and is still located in the original shul building in Niagara Falls.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.