This accession consists of 2 Tallisot previously owned by the Machzikei B'nai Israel Synaogogue, formerly located at 279 Dovercourt Rd. at Dundas St. West. Each tallis bears a stamp from the synagogue.
The tallisot were used by Ann's [father-in-law?], Nathan Sharpe, who was a founding member of the synagogue.
The Machzikei B'nai Israel Synagogue was first located in a store on Ossington Avenue in the early 1930s. In 1933 they purchased and incorporated a cemetery located on McCowan Road at Eglinton Avenue. In 1935, the congregation moved into the basement of 279 Dovercourt Road and gradually renovated the rest of the building to completion by 1950. In the 1970s, the synaoguge had 93 member families, but dwindling membership in the 1980s forced the Synagogue to close and merge with Shaarei Shomayim.