Accession consists of one photograph of the sign from the Eastern Children of Israel Congregation, located on Parliament Street, just north of Shuter Street, in Toronto. The sign is in the shape of an arc and was situated on the second floor of a brick building between two windows. It was written in Hebrew and mentions both the synagogue and a Talmud Torah.
The photograph was in the possession of Dr. Dorothy Pullan. She mailed it to the OJA in September 2011.
The Eastern Children of Israel Synagogue (Bnai Israel Hamizrachim or Eastern Children's Congregation) was founded in a house on Berkeley Street before the First World War. Its first synagogue was built at 177-179 Berkeley Street and officially opened in 1918. A Talmud Torah was later added onto the back. The synagogue was bulldozed in 1960 to make way for the Moss Park housing project, although the land sat vacant until 1962. The synagogue subsequently moved to 270 Parliament street until 1962, just north of Shuter Street, but is no longer in existence.
Availability of other formats: Also available as a JPEG file.
Signs and signboards
Eastern Children of Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)