109 photographs : b&w and col. ; 50 x 24 cm or smaller
10 cm of textual records
1924-1994, predominant 1963-1980
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to Milton Shefman, his son Alan Shefman and their membership and involvement with The Linitzer Benefit Society and its Young Man’s Branch. Included are a red leather bound pinkus entitled “Golden Book”, listing 1913 founding members and subsequent members up to 1929. A hand calligraphy entry in Yiddish and English lists the name and date of each new member and lists their contribution to The Linitzer Benefit Society. Also included are textual records such as anniversary booklets, invitations and newspaper clippings relating to the 25th, 50th, 55th, 60th, 75th and 50th anniversary celebrations of the Linitzer Benefit Society (1938-2013). In addition, there are photos of the 55th Anniversary of The Linitzer Benefit Society (1968), a banquet in which Milton Shefman received a plaque in honour of his contribution as president of the society from 1967-1968 (1968) and a special book presentation to youth (ca. 1968). All photographs by Frank Sherman. Additional textual records relating to The Linitzer Benefit Society include an insurance certificate; constitutions of laws (1953); spring newsletter (1961); membership listings, application forms, meeting minutes (1978-80); welcome letter sample; contract for burial plot; bylaws (1994), annual Linitzer year books (1964, 1966-67, 1969-70, 1981); three oversized colour copies of a bowling league trophy, a plaque in honour of Milton Shefman’s presidency of the society in 1967-68, and a congratulatory plaque on the occasion of Milton Shefman’s 60th wedding anniversary.
Other textual records include a copy of a birth certificate for Alice Segal, and one souvenir bencher book from the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
The Linitzer Benefit Society was formed in Toronto, Ontario on October 5, 1913. It began as a relief society for immigrants from the town of Linitz, Ukraine. Its principle aim was to relieve financial pressures for all members from the same town, assist with unemployment, support the sick and help with funeral arrangements. The society would also serve as a social hub where members could find friendship and support among a group of people with a shared history and similar interests. Their work would range from supporting local refugees to collecting and sending money and clothing to family left behind in Russia. Fundraising efforts also extended to local organizations such as the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, Hebrew National Association, the Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home and Mount Sinai Hospital. In 1960, the society moved to 783 Lawrence Ave. As the society became more progressive, women were eventually granted membership – originally only men joined. Membership would also be extended to those with no connection to Linitz. Continued fund raising events support a variety of causes in the local community and Israel.