Accession consists of one silver Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society Cup in box from 1999.
As the first Jewish mutual benefit society in Ontario not to associate itself with a particular synagogue, the Toronto Hebrew Benefit Society, established in 1899, mostly consisted of members who recently immigrated from Eastern Europe. After their arrival in North America, many Jews wished to be a part of an organization where, for an annual fee, they could receive medical benefits, financial assistance if needed, cemetery privileges and even organized social programs for the community. However, once the federal government implemented these social programs, the society ceased to provide such services to its members. The Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society also prided itself on its involvement in philanthropic activities such as donating to various organizations and institutions in and around the Jewish community.
ASSOCIATED MATERIAL NOTES: See Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society fonds 54, 12 Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society Artefacts, Artefact no. 416, Box 26 is also an 100th anniversary cup.