Mr. and Mrs. Coffler were married at the First Roumanian Congregation in Toronto in 1904. Bernard Coffler was one of the founders of this synagogue. The couple married soon after they had arrived from Roumania. The couple hold the distinction of being the first Jewish couple in Toronto to marry on a Sunday. Evidently, they received special permission to wed on that day from the Mayor. Bernard Coffler owned the Coffler Bedding Company on Parliament Street. The couple had three children: Mark, Goldie and Sam.
The photograph was donated by the Coffler's granddaughter, Carol Hamilton.
Scope and Content
The photograph of Mr. and Mrs. Coffler was taken at their golden anniversary party held on Sunday, 22 May 1954. The party was attended by two hundred guests and was held at the Murray House on Beverley Street. Mrs. Coffler was wearing a rose-coloured crepe and lace dress and Mr. Coffler wore a dark suit.
See accession file for a photocopy of the invitation and press clipping for this anniversary party.