Camp Hatikvah was founded in 1956 by the Zionist Organization of Canada as a summer camp for Jewish youth between the ages of 9 and 13. Located in Oyama, British Columbia, Camp Hatikvah served as the only Zionist camp for the Western region of Canada. Most of the campers came from British Columbia and Alberta.
Camp Hatikvah was administered by the National Camps Association in conjunction with the regional committee, although, daily operation and staffing was provided by Canadian Young Judaea. The Zionist Organization of Canada ended operation of the camp in the late 1970s due to financial instability and an emboiled legal battle with the Vancouver Jewish community over ownership. In 1979, ZOC transfered the land title to the Vancouver community's Camp Hatikvah Foundation, which has been in charge of operating the camp ever since.
Scope and Content
The sub-series consists of files created between 1963 and 1979. These files include: financial records, Hatikvah Committee meeting minutes, reports and correspondence, staffing and administration records, camp director reports, executive correspondence, programming, press and publicity, legal records, and photographs of the camp.