Eitz Chaim school was founded by a group of boys who were concerned about the education of the Jewish youth. Some of the founding members included: Itsheh Meyer, Sam Korolnek; and Samuel and Louis Cooper. Together, with a few other boys, they started a small gathering in the Bes Medrash Shul on Elm Street in 1914. The official founding date for the Talmud Torah Eitz Chaim School was in 1915, with the move to temporary quarters on Chestnut Street, and eventually moving to the newly rennovated building on D'Arcy Street in 1917.
Scope and Content
Photograph is of a dedication ceremony at the Eitz Chaim School in Toronto.
In attendance were: Phil Givens (far left), Rabbi Itche Meyer Korolnek & Mrs. Korolnek (2nd & 3rd from left), and Joe Tanenbaum (standing behind the Korolnek's).
Eitz Chaim School
Givens, Philip, 1922-1995
Korolnek, Rabbi Itche Meyer
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.