With the post-WW II expansion of Toronto's Jewish population, the original Mount Sinai Hospital on Yorkville Avenue became overcrowded, while its treatment capacities appeared ever more outdated. By 1949 an improved economy made it possible to begin the necessary planning for a much large replacement hospital at 550 University Ave. Although fundraising for the construction this facility was not the responsibility of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, many of its senior executives were also on the Hospital Board. Also, the entire Toronto Jewish Community was to be canvassed for the funds to build it. The proven fundraising expertise of the UJWF, its donor lists, and the goals of its own annual campaign ensured that constant correspondence and cooperation between the two was both necessary for success and vital to the avoidance of campaign competition. The continued success and growth of community contributions to both was the outcome of this ongoing collaboration. The New Mount Sinai Hospital opened in mid-1953, while the campaigns to continue improving and expanding its resources continue to the present.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and occasional reports documenting the relationship between the UJWF and the Board of the New Mount Sinai Hospital about the fundraising campaigns for the new hospital being constructed on Univeristy Avenue during the 1950's. Also included are two photographs of the new hospital. Files in this sub-series have been arranged chronologically.